Plastic vs Biodegradable
- Dental Floss is made of thin strands of nylon which is a type of plastic.
- Nylon can take 30- 40 years to decompose.
- Floss is usually packaged with plastic too which means the packaging alone can take up to 1000 years to decompose in a landfill.
- When floss ends up in the ocean, sea life can easily get tangled in it as it is very difficult to tear.
- Made from natural bamboo and is chemical free.
- Come in glass jars which is a recyclable material. You can buy refills to go straight in the glass container.
- There are two options for friendlier floss; Vegan nylon floss and silk. There are pros and cons to both.
- Some silk alternatives do claim to biodegrade in 60-90 days.