Plastic vs Reusable and Biodegradable
- It takes 200- 500 years for a disposable nappy to decompose.
- That means, every nappy you ever used as a baby, still exists.
- Disposable nappies create 60 times more waste compared to reusable nappies.
- Studies have shown that disposable nappies can contain harmful chemicals related to the disruption of sex hormones.
- There are lots of friendly alternatives here such as reusable nappies and ones made of bamboo which are biodegradable.
- Biodegradable brands contain approximately 60-80% biodegradable materials. There is no perfect brand in the disposable category. Yet.
- Using washable/reusable nappies can save new parents approximately £600 with a first child and even more with second children as the same nappies can be handed down. (After being washed of course!)
- In the right conditions, the biodegradable materials in nappies can take as little as 3 months to break down.