Disposable vs Refillable
- In 2005, Bic sold it’s 100 billionth disposable ballpoint pen. Laid end to end, they would circle the earth almost 350 times. That was 14 years ago.
- They end up in landfills and waterways when they are disposed of. As they are made from plastic, they leave behind microplastics and chemicals that are harmful for our environment.
- The plastic in pens can take approximately 1000 years to break down.
- Refillable pens have a disposable cartridge that can often be recycled.
- Refills last longer than disposable pens so work out to be a lot more cost effective.
- Evidence suggests that people naturally look after a nice pen more and keep better track of it. This actually adds to their already longer lifespan!