Plastic vs Biodegradable and Reusable
- Can take up to 1000 years to decompose in a landfill and as with all plastics, it leaves behind toxic chemicals.
- Both the European Commission and the UK are looking at taking steps towards banning the sale of plastic cutlery along with other items that are harmful for the environment.
- Around 8 million tonnes of plastic are dumped into our oceans each year with plastic cutlery being a huge contributor.
- Because of the plastic pollution of our oceans, it is likely that when you eat seafood, you are also eating micro-plastics.
Biodegradable and Reusable
- Bamboo cutlery takes around 80-90 days to biodegrade.
- Biodegradable cutlery can be made from materials like wood and bamboo which does not leave behind toxins that can harm the environment.
- They are not filled with chemicals that could be ingested when using them, unlike their plastic counterparts.
- Reusable cutlery can last a lifetime when you look after it!