Plastic vs Paper and Reusable
- Approximately 8.5 billion straws are thrown away in the UK each year.
- Difficult to recycle as they can drop out of the sorting machines used in the recycling process.
- Straws are a huge contributor to the enormous volume of plastic in our oceans that has detrimental effects on marine life and is polluting our ocean.
- Many plastic straws are made from petroleum based plastic. Evidence has shown this can leak into liquids and into your body when drinking through them.
Paper and Reusable
- Paper straws start to break down in just three days if they end up in our oceans.
- Paper Straws can also be composted.
- Paper is the most biodegradable material currently available for straws.
- Reusable straws, made from materials like metal can be cleaned, reused and can last a lifetime.
- When the lifetime of a reusable straw is over, the materials can be recycled.